Each night, as you drift off to sleep…your skin is wide awake. In fact, this is when your skin cells are at their busiest. Cell regeneration, cell repair, collagen production – all of these vital functions that keep your skin looking youthful are at their peak while you’re in slumberland .
In order to put a hold on the skin aging process, supporting your skin through these important nighttime processes is crucial, and the right night cream will enable you to do just that.
How do you find the perfect night cream? It all depends on your skin type, as well as the specific skin concerns you’re dealing with. Yes, we know, aging skin is your main concern, but narrowing this down even further will help you to find the right formula. Whether it may be fine lines, wrinkles, loose skin, dark spots, dullness, or anything else, we’ve gathered together the 10 best night creams for every skin type and age group.
|Editor's Choice||#2nd Best Choice||#3rd Best Choice|
LifeCell All-In-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
#2nd Best Choice
Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream
#3rd Best Choice
RoC Retinol Correxion Anti-Aging Night Cream
Table of Contents
- Top-Rated Nighttime Moisturizer for Increasing Elasticity & Firming Mature Skin: LifeCell All-In-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
- Best Night Cream for Combination Skin: Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream
- Best Night Cream for Oily Skin: RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Anti-Aging Night Cream
- Best Night Cream for Aging Skin With Dark Spots: Caudalie Vinoperfect Brightening Glycolic Night Cream
- Best Formula for Hydrating Benefits & Fading Expression Lines: Aveeno Active Naturals Absolutely Ageless Intensive Renewal Serum
- Best Night Cream for Dry Skin: SkinCeuticals Renew Overnight Dry
- Best Night Cream for 30s to Give You Glowing Skin: Algenist Restorative Night Cream
- Best Night Cream for 40s and for 50s to Increase Collagen Production: Exuviance Age Reverse Night Lift
- Best Night Cream for Aging Skin over 60 to Use: CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream
- Best Affordable Night Cream That Can Be Purchased at a Drugstore: No7 HydraLuminous Overnight Recovery Cream
- Conclusion: Still Can’t Decide on the Best Anti-Aging Night Cream for Your Skin?
Top-Rated Nighttime Moisturizer for Increasing Elasticity & Firming Mature Skin: LifeCell All-In-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
If you don’t have the time to read up on hundreds of skincare reviews and simply want a night cream that you can depend on to tackle all of the visible signs of aging, then the LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment is it. Not only does this formula give you firmer and tighter skin in the long run, but it also softens the look of fine lines and wrinkles immediately upon application.
Key Ingredients: Retinol, DMAE, Hyaluronic Acid & Vitamin C
Two of the ingredients responsible for this product’s instantaneous effects are DMAE and hyaluronic acid. While DMAE smoothes away wrinkles, hyaluronic acid delivers moisture to skin cells, leaving you with plumper skin.
You’ll also find two forms of both vitamins A and C in this formula. Vitamin A resurfaces and tightens the skin while vitamin C firms and brightens, making them an unstoppable and much-loved duo.
- Delivers both immediate and long-term anti-aging results
- Contains a long list of vitamins, peptides, and antioxidant-rich botanicals, all of which are powerful anti-aging ingredients
- A fragrance-free formula that’s suitable for all skin types
- This product isn’t marketed as a night cream. However, its ingredient lineup truly is perfect for nightly use, with hundreds of LifeCell reviews confirming this
Best Night Cream for Combination Skin: Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream
Combination skin can be tricky to deal with. You need a night cream that will hydrate your dry patches without weighing down and breaking out your oily areas, and the Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream is perfect for this.
Key Ingredients: Amino-Peptide Complex, Niacinamide & Hyaluronic Acid
Rather than increasing skin hydration with heavy plant oils, this cream makes use of lightweight hydrating ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid and amino peptides. The latter also works to fortify the skin barrier, encouraging your skin to better protect itself against transepidermal water loss in the future.
As for niacinamide, also known as vitamin B3, this ingredient has been proven to help with skin barrier function and hyperpigmentation, while also providing antioxidant properties .
- Keeps the skin hydrated without weighing it down
- Focuses on enhancing the skin’s barrier to improve how skin cells naturally function on their own in the long run
- Some people found that an overly thick layer of this product caused them to break out, so go light on your oily areas
Best Night Cream for Oily Skin: RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Anti-Aging Night Cream
If your skin is on the oily side, then you’ll be all-too-familiar with how important it is to only use lightweight products that don’t contain any pore-clogging ingredients. Most of the best night creams on this list are quite thick, but that’s exactly why the RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream stands out. This non-comedogenic formula not only delivers a dose of lightweight hydrating ingredients but also contains acids to keep your pores clear of excess oil.
Key Ingredients: RoC® Retinol, Glycolic Acid & Squalane
Retinol on its own is great, but RoC’s patented retinol complex is even better. Proven to be more powerful than other over-the-counter forms of retinol, this blend is even more of a superstar when it comes to reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
You’ll also find glycolic acid in this formula, an alpha-hydroxy acid that boosts skin cell turnover while clearing away dull and rough dead skin cells as you snooze so that you wake up with a smooth skin texture. Combined with squalane to hydrate skin, this is a product that anyone with oily or combination skin will love.
- Lightweight and non-comedogenic – perfect for oily skin!
- Proven to improve skin radiance in 4 weeks, reduce expression lines in 8 weeks, and diminish deep wrinkles in 12 weeks
- Contains parabens, which are preservatives that some people choose to avoid
Best Night Cream for Aging Skin With Dark Spots: Caudalie Vinoperfect Brightening Glycolic Night Cream
If you’re looking for a brightening night cream that will grant you a more even skin tone, then the Caudalie Vinoperfect Brightening Glycolic Night Cream won’t disappoint. Just like other night creams, it helps to stimulate collagen production to give you smoother skin. However, it also contains exfoliants and brightening compounds that’ll lighten discoloration to renew your complexion.
Key Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Papaya Enzymes & Viniferine
Glycolic acid and papaya enzymes are two active ingredients that exfoliate away discolored skin cells, leaving the skin looking more radiant.
This is combined with two super-potent grape-derived anti-aging ingredients; viniferine and grape seed oil. The former is extracted from vine sap and is patented by Caudalie. According to the brand, it’s 62 times more effective than vitamin C at brightening and tightening the skin.
- Contains a high-performance patented extract that you won’t find elsewhere
- Helps with both wrinkles as well as discoloration
- Doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients
- Some people with sensitive skin find this formula to be a little too potent
Best Formula for Hydrating Benefits & Fading Expression Lines: Aveeno Active Naturals Absolutely Ageless Intensive Renewal Serum
If your fine lines are still relatively faint, then one of the best things that you can do to smooth them away while preventing new creases from forming is to hydrate your skin as much as possible. For this, we love the Aveeno Active Naturals Absolutely Ageless Intensive Renewal Serum. Granted, it’s a serum rather than a cream, but it deserved to be featured on our list purely because of how effective it is at hydrating the skin and minimizing fine lines.
Key Ingredients: Glycerin, Blackberry Leaf Extract & Dill Extract
Not only is glycerin a powerful humectant that hydrates the skin, but it also reinforces the skin barrier, helping with hydration in the long term too.
In this formula, glycerin is blended with blackberry leaf extract for its vitamins and antioxidants, as well as dill extract – this is an ingredient that has been proven to boost skin elasticity .
- Extremely hydrating, and also helps to eliminate fine lines
- As a serum, it can be layered underneath a skin renewing night cream for double the benefits
- Not thick and rich enough to be used on its own on dry skin, especially in colder climates. Layer a moisturizer over the top to counter this
Best Night Cream for Dry Skin: SkinCeuticals Renew Overnight Dry
Dry skin can quickly start to look dull, rough, and flaky, with this dryness only getting worse as a person ages. Exfoliating ingredients are what you need to deal with this, but since dry skin can also be quite fragile and sensitive, these need to be carefully balanced with richly moisturizing anti-aging ingredients, which perfectly describes the SkinCeuticals Renew Overnight Dry.
Key Ingredients: Alpha Hydroxy Acids & Antioxidants From Multiple Botanicals
While pure glycolic acid is powerful, it can quickly lead to irritated skin, especially on dry skin types. So, to counter this, this dream night cream only uses a small amount of glycolic acid, but combines it with a number of gentler exfoliating agents, including malic, tartaric, and lactic acids, to create a 10% concentration of AHAs.
That takes care of resurfacing and renewing skin tone and texture, while the antioxidant-rich botanicals, including rose, orange, lemon peel, and sugar maple, help to fight free radicals to give you smooth, firm, and supple skin.
- The perfect way to brighten, resurface and smooth out dry skin
- Contains a gentle yet powerful 10% alpha-hydroxy acid blend
- Contains 5 parabens, which are controversial preservatives
Best Night Cream for 30s to Give You Glowing Skin: Algenist Restorative Night Cream
If you’re in your 30s, then you’re probably only just beginning to notice the signs of aging creeping up. So, in addition to focusing on skin repair, you also need a good preventative treatment, which is where the Algenist Restorative Night Cream comes in. This is one of the best night creams for restoring and repairing the skin overnight – not only will it help to erase those fine lines, but it’ll also firm up and rejuvenate your skin in the long run.
Key Ingredients: Alguronic Acid, Rock Samphire & Vitamin C
Alguronic acid is a natural yet patented ingredient that comes from microalgae. Studies carried out by Algenist have shown that alguronic acid is even more effective than vitamin C and retinol at tackling aging skin.
In addition to this exclusive ingredient, this cream also contains rock samphire, which helps to repair damaged skin cells , as well as vitamin C for its brightening and protective benefits.
- Contains a patented anti-aging ingredient that can only be found in Algenist products
- Diminishes expression lines while also helping to prevent new wrinkles from forming
- The added fragrance could irritate sensitive skin
Best Night Cream for 40s and for 50s to Increase Collagen Production: Exuviance Age Reverse Night Lift
The main issue faced by people in their 40s and 50s is a significant decline in collagen production, which the Exuviance Age Reverse Night Lift helps to address. This formula focuses on firming and hydrating the skin, which, in turn, reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
Key Ingredients: AHAs, PHAs, Peptides & Vitamin E
There are several ingredients in this cream that enable it to effectively ramp up collagen production, from alpha-hydroxy acids to peptides. Of course, the AHAs, especially when combined with PHAs, also have a mild resurfacing effect, which does away with discoloration too.
You’ll also notice several skin-soothing ingredients in this deep wrinkle night cream, from vitamin E to shea butter. Throw in a few botanical extracts for their antioxidant properties, from grape seed extract to rose oil to blueberry juice, and this blend becomes perfect for those who are dealing with loose skin and deeper wrinkles.
- This triple action night cream not only boosts collagen production but also neutralizes free radicals and fades dark spots too
- Contains a potent blend of hardworking anti-aging ingredients
- Some people find that this product’s pump dispenser can be a little tricky to use
Best Night Cream for Aging Skin over 60 to Use: CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream
Collagen production really starts to suffer once a person is in their 60s, and you’ll only be able to counter this to a certain extent. However, that doesn’t mean that you have to live with your wrinkles – instead, look for products that plump up the skin’s surface and encourage cell renewal, which is exactly what the CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream does.
Key Ingredients: Ceramides, Peptides & Sodium Hyaluronate
This formula is loaded with several anti-aging classics. From ceramides and peptides to fortify your skin’s barrier and improve skin health, to sodium hyaluronate for its hydrating and plumping abilities, this creamy formula is perfect for people in the later stages of life.
Shea butter is used in this cream as well. When applied to the skin, this ingredient forms a protective seal over the surface of the skin, which helps to keep the skin looking soft and smooth for longer.
- Encapsulated ceramides keep the skin barrier feeling protected over a longer period of time
- Contains a good blend of anti-aging ingredients to target all aspects of skin aging
- People with oily and combination skin tend to find this cream too greasy. However, once you hit your 60s, excess oil is unlikely to be an issue
Best Affordable Night Cream That Can Be Purchased at a Drugstore: No7 HydraLuminous Overnight Recovery Cream
Many of the night creams on this list contain patented ingredients and exclusive formulas, meaning that they’re also often accompanied by a high price tag. However, good skincare doesn’t necessarily need to cost a fortune, and the No7 HydraLuminous Overnight Recovery Cream is the perfect example of that. This affordable cream boasts a lightweight gel-like texture that deeply hydrates the skin while protecting it from environmental damage.
Key Ingredients: Glycerin, Panthenol & Ginseng Root Extract
The main hydrating ingredient in this formula is glycerin. This humectant has actually been proven to be more effective than hyaluronic acid at hydrating the surface layer of skin , yet it costs less, making it the ideal choice for people on a budget.
Panthenol is another ingredient that boosts skin moisture levels, while ginseng root extract helps with elasticity, wrinkles, and brightening the skin tone.
- One of our favorite drugstore creams because of how its silky formula is able to intensely hydrate the skin while reducing the signs of aging
- Helps to protect the skin from pollution and other forms of environmental stress
- Feels soothing and refreshing when applied to the skin
- Contains added fragrance, which could irritate sensitivities
Q: Which night cream is best for fine lines and wrinkles?
You’ll find the best night creams for fine lines and wrinkles right here on this page!
Q: Which brand anti-aging cream is best?
We love the LifeCell brand for their anti-aging creams, but all of the brands featured on this page produce fantastic anti-aging products.
Q: Which night cream is best for boys?
The RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream is a good choice for boys.
Q: Which is the best night cream for girls?
Any of the night creams on this list would be perfect for girls.
Q: What should men use on face at night?
In addition to getting enough beauty sleep, the night cream is one of the most important products that men should use on their faces at night.
Q: Which night cream is best for glowing skin?
Look for a night cream that contains plenty of hydrating ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid, jojoba oil, and glycerin – these will give your skin an instant glow.
Q: Does night cream help with acne?
If you have acne-prone skin, then a night cream is extremely useful for re-balancing sebum production to tone down the oiliness and reduce breakouts.
Q: What is the most powerful anti-aging ingredient?
Retinol is one of the most powerful anti-aging ingredients available over the counter.
Q: What is the best night cream for sensitive skin?
Look for a fragrance-free night cream formula that doesn’t contain any irritants if you have sensitive skin.
Q: What is the best night cream for acne-prone skin?
We love the RoC night cream for acne-prone skin.
Q: What is the best eye cream for bags and deep wrinkles?
An eye cream that contains active ingredients like peptides, ceramides, and humectants will help with eye bags and deep wrinkles.
Q: What is the best vegan anti-aging night cream?
You’ll find some good vegan night creams featured on this page.
Q: What is the best natural anti-aging night cream?
The best natural anti-aging night creams will be packed full of botanical extracts, such as shea butter, green tea, and bakuchiol.
Q: Are serums good products for producing anti-aging results?
Yes, serums have a lightweight consistency that enables them to penetrate deep into the skin’s layers, making them great for producing anti-aging results.
Conclusion: Still Can’t Decide on the Best Anti-Aging Night Cream for Your Skin?
While all of the night creams on this list are super-effective, it can take some time to work out which formula is best for your skin. Our advice? Don’t rush things. Pick the most promising product from this list and then use it regularly for a couple of months. If you don’t notice a difference in your skin, give another formula a try. So long as you stick to the above product recommendations, you’ll find the perfect match for your skin in no time.