With the skin on the body being thicker and more resilient than the skin on the face, the aging process doesn’t hit it quite as early on in life. However, nowhere on your body is immune to the effects of aging – neglect to pay your skin the right amount of attention, and your body will look dry, rough, dull, and wrinkled before you know it.
Don’t worry – we’re not going to recommend a 10-step skincare routine for your body. Instead, all it takes to keep the aging process at bay is a simple anti-aging body lotion. Slather it onto your skin each day when you step out of the shower and you’ll look smooth and glowy…so long as you’re using the right lotion, of course!
That’s where we come in. If you’d like to save yourself from the frustrating (and expensive) trial and error process that often accompanies searching for a new skin care product, then read on. Whether you’re dealing with the initial signs of aging skin or you’re further on in life with wrinkles that have progressed into loose skin, here are 10 of the best body lotions to bring back the smooth, taut, and firm skin of your youth.
|Editor's Choice||#2nd Best Choice||#3rd Best Choice|
LifeCell Firming Body Butter
#2nd Best Choice
CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion
#3rd Best Choice
Eucerin Advanced Repair Dry Skin Lotion
Table of Contents
- Best Body Lotion for Younger-Looking Skin: LifeCell Firming Body Butter
- Best Hydrating Body Lotion for Aging Skin: CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion
- Best Body Lotion for Dry, Aging Skin: Eucerin Advanced Repair Dry Skin Lotion
- Best Age-Defying Body Lotion Spray for Hard-to-Reach Areas of Dry Skin: Aquaphor Ointment Body Spray
- Best Anti-Aging Body Treatment for Sensitive Skin Prone to Eczema: Aveeno Eczema Therapy Itch Relief Balm
- Best Body Lotion for Wrinkles, Fine Lines & and Uneven Skin Tone: EltaMD Moisture Rich Body Crème
- Best Dermatologist Recommended Drugstore Skin Care Product to Use on Mature Skin: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Body Gel Cream
- Best Body Lotion for Older Skin Prone to Irritation: La Roche-Posay Lipikar Balm AP+
- Best Body Moisturizer for Aging Skin Over 60: First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream
- Best Anti-Aging Body Cream for Boosting Elasticity & Collagen Production: Nécessaire the Body Lotion
- So, What is the Best Body Lotion for Aging Skin? Here’s How to Pick the Best Formula for Your Skin Type
- Q: What is the best lotion for dry aging skin?
- Q: Which body lotion is best for wrinkles?
- Q: Which lotion is best for crepey skin?
- Q: Which is the No 1 body lotion?
- Q: What lotion makes your skin younger?
- Q: What is the best body moisturiser for older skin?
- Q: What is the best cream for old wrinkled skin?
- Q: Can I use a body lotion to treat signs of aging on my face and neck?
- Q: Is fragrance in a body lotion bad for acne?
- Q: Which oils won’t clog my pores?
- Q: Will retinol make my skin more sensitive to the sun?
Best Body Lotion for Younger-Looking Skin: LifeCell Firming Body Butter
If we had to pick just one body lotion to use every day for the rest of our lives, we would go with the LifeCell Firming Body Butter. It’s a cream that pretty much does it all – not only will it immediately soften and hydrate your skin, but it will also mask blemishes and imperfections while tightening cellulite. Whether you’re in your 30s or your 60s, this beautifully whipped buttery lotion is one that people quickly come to depend on.
Key Ingredients: Caffeine, Ginseng Extract & Argan Oil
There are several popular anti-aging ingredients out there that many of the body lotions on this list contain; ceramides, hyaluronic acid, peptides, vitamins, oats, and shea butter to name a few. Well, this body butter boasts all of those compounds, plus so much more.
Caffeine has been used to soften the appearance of cellulite and wrinkles while giving the skin a tight and toned look. Meanwhile, ginseng extract boosts collagen production and restores skin elasticity , while argan oil is loaded with antioxidants that defend against free radicals caused by sun damage.
- Contains a long list of both classic and innovative anti-aging ingredients
- Feels rich and buttery, yet absorbs quickly into the skin
- Helps with a number of aging-related skin concerns, including cellulite, wrinkles, sagging skin, dryness, and UV damage
- This body moisturizer may feel a little too rich on areas of your skin that are prone to body acne
Best Hydrating Body Lotion for Aging Skin: CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion
Many of the anti-aging body lotions on this list have been designed for dry skin. However, if your skin type leans more towards normal or combination, then the CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion would be a good choice for you. This non-comedogenic and fragrance-free formula deeply hydrates the skin without weighing it down – it is even recommended by the National Eczema Association because of how soothing it feels.
Key Ingredients: Ceramides & Hyaluronic Acid
There aren’t too many actives crammed into this lightweight body lotion, which is how it’s able to appeal to all skin types. Instead, it contains three essential ceramides that keep the skin hydrated while strengthening skin barrier function.
It has also been infused with hyaluronic acid – a humectant that’s famed for how effectively it draws in moisture from the environment to hydrate skin cells. It gives the skin a plump and fresh finish while boosting moisture levels in the long term.
- A lightweight but very hydrating body lotion – provides 24 hours of hydration
- Gentle, oil-free, and fragrance-free, making it suitable for all skin types
- Contains parabens
Best Body Lotion for Dry, Aging Skin: Eucerin Advanced Repair Dry Skin Lotion
Dry skin is a common concern as a person ages, and one of the best body lotions for providing intense moisture is the Eucerin Advanced Repair Dry Skin Lotion. Although it’s a non-greasy, lightweight body lotion, it still packs a punch when it comes to increasing skin moisture levels. Even better, it’s suitable for sensitive skin too.
Key Ingredients: Ceramides, Lactic Acid & Natural Moisturizing Factors
Ceramides are a must-have for both dry skin and aging skin, which is why they’re such a popular ingredient in anti-aging body lotions. In this formula, they’re combined with lactic acid. This gentle alpha-hydroxy acid will remove rough skin and dead skin cells, but it’s also loved for its hydrating properties too.
This body lotion also contains natural moisturizing factors. This term refers to a specific group of ingredients (urea, lactate, amino acids, and PCA) that exist in our skin and significantly contribute to the skin’s moisture levels . Your skin readily accepts these ingredients, enabling them to keep the skin moisturized in the long term.
- A deeply moisturizing formula designed to hydrate dry skin for 48 hours
- Leaves the skin feeling soft, supple, and smooth
- Fragrance-free, dye-free, and paraben-free
- Since this body lotion contains alpha-hydroxy acid, you’ll need to be extra diligent about sun protection
Best Age-Defying Body Lotion Spray for Hard-to-Reach Areas of Dry Skin: Aquaphor Ointment Body Spray
No matter how good these anti-aging body lotions may be, they won’t be able to do much if you’re not physically able to reach those drier spots on your body to properly apply the product. However, that’s where the Aquaphor Ointment Body Spray comes in. This innovative gem from Eucerin consists of a water-free, cooling ointment in spray form. Simply point and press to treat large or hard-to-reach areas of skin to some intense moisture and nourishment.
Key Ingredients: Panthenol, Glycerin & Lanolin Alcohol
This unique spray formula has a short ingredient list that focuses on boosting skin moisture levels and improving barrier function. Panthenol, also known as vitamin B5, kicks things off by softening and conditioning the skin, while glycerin delivers moisture to skin cells, leaving them plump and rejuvenated.
Also in this anti-aging body lotion is an ingredient called lanolin alcohol. Don’t worry, this isn’t ‘bad’ alcohol that will dry out your skin. Instead, it’s a fatty alcohol that acts as an emollient by softening and smoothing the skin.
- The innovative spray format enables you to target hard-to-reach spots on your body
- Highly moisturizing – skin feels softer after every use of this anti-aging body lotion
- Feels a little greasy after application, but this dissipates once the product has been fully absorbed
Best Anti-Aging Body Treatment for Sensitive Skin Prone to Eczema: Aveeno Eczema Therapy Itch Relief Balm
Aveeno is known for producing skincare products that are extremely beneficial for those with eczema and itchy skin, and the Aveeno Eczema Therapy Itch Relief Balm is no exception. If your skin has been desperate for some relief, then this anti-aging body balm will give it just that while also leaving you with a soft and smooth skin texture.
Key Ingredients: Colloidal Oatmeal, Ceramides & Glycerin
If your skin is itchy or irritated, then colloidal oatmeal is what you need. Multiple studies have confirmed that this ingredient is extremely effective at soothing and protecting the skin, significantly helping with dryness, roughness, and itching .
You’ll also find ceramides in this formula for their ability to moisturize very dry skin while fortifying the skin’s barrier . This is helped by glycerin, a humectant that keeps the skin plump and hydrated.
- A very soothing body moisturizer for itchy, irritated, and chapped skin – provides instant and long-lasting relief
- Paraben-free, fragrance-free, and steroid-free
- Has been awarded a seal of approval from the National Eczema Association
- Can be used as a spot treatment on itchy areas, or can also be used as an all-over body cream
- Focuses more on soothing and relieving irritation, rather than on repairing aging skin
Best Body Lotion for Wrinkles, Fine Lines & and Uneven Skin Tone: EltaMD Moisture Rich Body Crème
If you’re looking for a skin-smoothing body treatment, many would say that the EltaMD Moisture Rich Body Crème is one of the best body lotions for providing just that. This exquisite formula offers up a variety of anti-aging properties – it’ll improve skin texture, smooth away fine lines, and even out your skin tone, leaving you with soft and radiant skin.
Key Ingredients: Niacinamide, Ceramides, Hyaluronic Acid & Proteolytic Fruit Enzymes
Niacinamide, also known as vitamin B3, is the first standout ingredient in this formula. It supports the skin barrier, encourages healthy skin cell turnover, and keeps the skin surface looking bright and even.
Ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and mango butter contribute to this formula’s moisturizing and hydrating abilities, while proteolytic fruit enzymes soothe inflammation and boost skin renewal.
- A fantastic anti-aging formula for lines, wrinkles, skin tone, and loose skin
- Feels thick but non-greasy – a little goes a long way
- Some people find that this anti-aging body lotion smells a little medicinal, but we appreciate that it doesn’t contain added fragrances
Best Dermatologist Recommended Drugstore Skin Care Product to Use on Mature Skin: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Body Gel Cream
If you find that most anti-aging lotions feel too thick when applied to your skin, then you’ll love the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Body Gel Cream. This lightweight body lotion has quite a gel-like consistency that absorbs instantly and doesn’t leave any sort of residue behind. Instead, it plumps up and refreshes your cells, leaving your skin healthy, soft, and supple.
Key Ingredients: Sodium Hyaluronate & Glycerin
The reason why this formula is ultra-lightweight is due to how its active ingredients are humectants. Sodium hyaluronate and glycerin both have moisture-binding properties, enabling them to deeply hydrate skin cells. However, they’re not heavy in the slightest and are suitable for all skin types.
Both ingredients work well on their own but are even better when combined, making this hydrating body lotion one that so many rely on.
- A very lightweight anti-aging body lotion that absorbs instantly
- Leaves the skin hydrated and revitalized
- Contains parfum, which could potentially irritate sensitive skin types
Best Body Lotion for Older Skin Prone to Irritation: La Roche-Posay Lipikar Balm AP+
The skin often becomes more sensitive with age – you may find that, as you get older, your skin reacts to ingredients that it used to happily tolerate. If you can relate, check out the La Roche-Posay Lipikar Balm AP+. Designed specifically for reactive skin, this soothing formula hydrates the skin for 48 hours. It’s super gentle too – so much so that it can even be used on three-month-old babies.
Key Ingredients: Niacinamide, Glycerin, Shea Butter & La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water
Many of the key ingredients in this formula can be found in some of the other best anti-aging lotions that we’ve featured, yet none of those provide them in the same concentration. With 20% shea butter and 8% glycerin, it’s easy to see why this balm is so soothing and hydrating.
It also contains niacinamide to restore the skin’s barrier and keep the skin moisturized. La Roche-Posay’s exclusive thermal spring water makes an appearance too. It has been proven by independent studies to have a high selenium content , making it ideal for calming irritated skin.
- Extremely gentle – it can even be used on babies
- Soothes and deeply hydrates the skin, while repairing barrier damage
- Hypoallergenic and fragrance-free
- Focuses more on soothing the skin, rather than being an anti-aging body lotion
Best Body Moisturizer for Aging Skin Over 60: First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream
If you have mature skin, then you need to be using anti-aging lotions that hydrate, soothe, repair, and protect, which is exactly what the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream is so successful at. Suitable for every skin type, this fast-absorbing moisturizer instantly hydrates skin cells, while leaving your body looking smoother and more supple in the long run.
Key Ingredients: Colloidal Oatmeal, Shea Butter, Ceramides & Eucalyptus
We’ve already mentioned how efficiently colloidal oatmeal can soothe the skin, so it’s good to see plenty of it in this cream. It’s combined with shea butter, another ingredient that’s known for restoring supple and smooth skin.
Ceramides have been used too – a must-have in any firming body lotion for mature skin. There’s also a small amount of eucalyptus oil in this blend – it offers anti-inflammatory properties that keep the skin feeling soft, soothed, and protected.
- Free of irritants and safe for all skin types
- Soothes, moisturizes, and plumps up the skin
- Some people with hypersensitive skin find that their skin reacts to the eucalyptus oil in this anti-aging body lotion
Best Anti-Aging Body Cream for Boosting Elasticity & Collagen Production: Nécessaire the Body Lotion
You’ve probably noticed that most of the body lotions out there don’t seem to be quite as potent as anti-aging face creams. All of the best anti-aging lotions seem to share similar ingredients, so what do you do if you want to treat your body to something a little extra special? That’s where The Body Lotion from Nécessaire comes in – it’s jam-packed with a long list of anti-aging components that work together to boost protein production in your skin, giving you a naturally firmer and smoother finish.
Key Ingredients: Vitamins, Peptides, Essential Fatty Acids & Plant Extracts
There’s an astonishing number of beneficial ingredients in this firming body lotion, making it hardly surprising that it provides such significant anti-aging properties. You’ll find vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E in this formula, along with several fatty acids that keep the skin supple and strong.
There are multiple antioxidant-rich plant extracts in this blend too. Jojoba oil moisturizes the skin, apple fruit extract will help to tighten skin, and lemon fruit extract has brightening properties. Peptides are present too, making this a beautifully well-rounded formula.
- One of the best anti-aging lotions available – most of the ingredients in this formula tackle some aspect of skin aging
- Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin
- Hydrates, brightens, tightens, and firms the skin
- The lack of a scent may put some people off, but the fact that it doesn’t contain a fragrance enables it to be used by people with a sensitive skin type
So, What is the Best Body Lotion for Aging Skin? Here’s How to Pick the Best Formula for Your Skin Type
Can’t decide which of the body lotions featured above to invest in? Your decision should be based on your skin type.
If you have sensitive skin that reacts easily to different ingredients, then look for a formula designed specifically for your delicate skin type. It should be fragrance-free, and ideally free of other irritants too. The shorter the ingredient list, the less chance that your skin will react to the product.
The same applies to dry skin too, although you’ll be able to tolerate more than what sensitive skin can. Go for a body lotion that’s on the thick and rich side – body creams may be more beneficial, especially in particularly dry areas.
For those of you with oily skin, pick something lightweight and oil-free. After all, you don’t want to be dealing with body acne breakouts!
It’s also worth keeping in mind that how you apply body lotion will impact how effective it is. For best results, always apply your body lotion soon after stepping out of the shower – use it on damp skin for best results. Then, give it a couple of minutes to soak in before getting dressed.
Q: What is the best lotion for dry aging skin?
The best body lotions for dry aging skin will be rich formulas that contain nourishing natural oils and butter, such as shea butter, cocoa butter, and coconut oil.
Q: Which body lotion is best for wrinkles?
A body lotion that’s packed with antioxidants, peptides, and humectants is best for wrinkles.
Q: Which lotion is best for crepey skin?
A firming body lotion formula containing caffeine and peptides is best for crepey skin.
Q: Which is the No 1 body lotion?
The 10 body lotions that we’ve featured on this page are all considered to be the best on the market.
Q: What lotion makes your skin younger?
An anti-aging lotion containing vitamins, antioxidants, and peptides will help to make your skin look younger.
Q: What is the best body moisturiser for older skin?
For older skin, the best body moisturizer will be one that hydrates, soothes, and protects. You’ll find some good recommendations right here on this page!
Q: What is the best cream for old wrinkled skin?
For old wrinkled skin, use a cream that contains rejuvenating natural ingredients, such as sweet almond oil, vitamin E, coconut oil, and cocoa butter.
Q: Can I use a body lotion to treat signs of aging on my face and neck?
Some body lotions work well on the face and neck, but others won’t have much of an effect. If you’re looking for fast results, you’d be better off with a lotion designed for the face.
Q: Is fragrance in a body lotion bad for acne?
Body lotions containing fragrance could potentially irritate any skin type, although those already dealing with extra inflammation and acne are more likely to react to fragrances.
Q: Which oils won’t clog my pores?
There are several non-comedogenic oils out there that won’t clog pores, including jojoba, grape seed, hemp seed, and sweet almond.
Q: Will retinol make my skin more sensitive to the sun?
Yes, retinol increases sun sensitivity, making it vital to regularly apply sunscreen if you have been using retinol skincare products.
You may think that the skin on your body is doing just fine without a lotion, but once you reach the later stages of your life, you’ll no doubt regret skipping out on this product in your earlier years. Fortunately, whether you’re only just starting to see the visible signs of aging creep up on your body, or you’re already dealing with sagging and cellulite, a body lotion can help to turn things around, giving you a smooth, toned, and firm body once again.