While wrinkles are often associated with old age, the truth is that they can start appearing as early on as in your 20s, and eye wrinkles are usually the first ones to show up. Why? Because the thinnest skin anywhere on your face or body can be found around your eyes, making it more prone to damage from daily wear and tear, as well as environmental harm.
This is where eye creams come in. You may be groaning at the thought of adding yet another step to your daily skincare routine, but, trust us, it’s worth it. Since the eye area is ultra-sensitive, it should only be treated with products designed for delicate skin, meaning that your usual facial serums and creams will be too potent. Not to mention, this delicate area needs a cream with a lighter consistency, so as not to clog those tiny pores or trigger milia.
Fortunately, when it comes to eye creams, a little goes a long way, making it worth investing in one of these jars of anti-aging magic. Which do you pick from the many options available? Scroll on – we’ve put together a list of 11 eye creams that’ll not only banish your wrinkles but will give your eye area a much smoother, firmer, and brighter appearance overall.
|Editor's Choice||#2nd Best Choice||#3rd Best Choice|
LifeCell All-In-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
#2nd Best Choice
Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Eye Cream
#3rd Best Choice
Dermalogica BioLumin-C Eye Serum
Table of Contents
- Best All-Round Eye Cream to Use for Firming the Skin & Preventing Deep Wrinkles: LifeCell All-In-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
- Best Eye Cream for 30s: Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Eye Cream
- Best Eye Serum for Brightening & Firming the Eye Area: Dermalogica BioLumin-C Eye Serum
- Best Eye Cream for Dark Circles, Under-Eye Bags & Crow Feet: RoC Retinol Correxion Line Smoothing Eye Cream
- Best Eye Cream for Puffiness: SkinCeuticals A.G.E. Eye Complex
- Best Affordable Eye Cream for Boosting Collagen Production in Mature Skin: Olay Regenerist Retinol 24 MAX Night Eye Cream
- Best Night Eye Cream Formula for Sensitive Skin: La Roche-Posay Redermic R Retinol Eye Cream
- Top Rated Product for Delivering Impressive Before and After Results: Best EltaMD Renew Eye Gel
- Best Eye Cream for Dry Skin: First Aid Beauty FAB Skin Lab Retinol Eye Cream
- Best Daily Eye Cream for Hydration & Anti-Aging Benefits: Aveeno Absolutely Ageless Eye Cream
- How to Choose the Best Eye Cream for Fine Lines & Wrinkles Based on Ingredients & Your Age
- Conclusion: Ready for a Younger-Looking Eye Area?
Best All-Round Eye Cream to Use for Firming the Skin & Preventing Deep Wrinkles: LifeCell All-In-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
It’s not often that we’d recommend using a facial skincare product around your eyes, but we’ve made an exception for the LifeCell All-in-One Skin Tightening Treatment. This high-powered formula is gentle enough to be used anywhere on the face and neck by all skin types, with its main purpose being to firm and tighten the skin.
It’s loaded with one of the best combinations of ingredients that you’ll find in an eye cream – two types of vitamin A, two types of vitamin C, DMAE, hyaluronic acid, and a long list of plant extracts. All of these come together to thicken and firm up thin skin while diminishing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Instantly plumps and smoothes the skin, while also delivering long-term anti-aging benefits
- Contains some of the best anti-aging ingredients available in over-the-counter products
- Fragrance-free, paraben-free, non-comedogenic, and hypoallergenic – no wonder it’s suitable for all skin types!
- Not designed specifically for the eye area (but still safe and effective when used around the eyes)
Best Eye Cream for 30s: Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Eye Cream
If your fine lines and crow’s feet are only in their early stages, then prevention becomes more important than ever. It’s vital to repair the damage now to stop those creases from deepening, which is exactly what the Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Eye Cream will do.
Although this lightweight formula works well on deeper wrinkles too, it’s a superstar at erasing fine lines – it’ll produce noticeable results in as little as a week if you use it consistently. This is all down to its special blend of retinol SA, glucose complex, vitamin C, and sodium hyaluronate, all of which promote skin renewal to establish a younger-looking complexion.
- A lightweight formula that quickly absorbs into the skin
- Produces results in just one week
- Tackles a variety of eye area concerns, including fine lines, wrinkles, and dark circles
- May be too potent for sensitive skin types
Best Eye Serum for Brightening & Firming the Eye Area: Dermalogica BioLumin-C Eye Serum
As effective as some eye creams may be, they become even more so when combined with potent eye serum, such as the Dermalogica BioLumin-C Eye Serum. This silky solution brings you the very best of vitamin C – it’ll brighten skin tone, smooth fine lines, tighten loose skin, and leave your under-eye area looking fresh and plump.
In addition to vitamin C, this serum is also formulated with a selection of humectants to hydrate your skin, along with antioxidant-rich extracts for their anti-aging properties and fatty acids for their ability to thicken and protect the skin.
- A great serum for delivering vitamin C to your skin cells – since it’s lighter than a cream, it’ll penetrate deeper into your skin
- Can be used underneath eye and face creams
- Packed full of antioxidants that help to target the visible signs of skin aging
- Needs to be combined with cream in order to sufficiently hydrate the skin around the eyes – it won’t be rich enough to be used as a standalone product on dry skin
Best Eye Cream for Dark Circles, Under-Eye Bags & Crow Feet: RoC Retinol Correxion Line Smoothing Eye Cream
Can an eye cream really make a person look 10 years younger? That’s what the RoC Retinol Correxion Line Smoothing Eye Cream promises, and reviews show that these claims hold true. The brand’s clinical studies show that this retinol eye cream is capable of brightening and de-puffing the eyes in 4 weeks. Keep using it and you’ll notice that the appearance of fine lines will have faded away after 12 weeks.
These impressive effects are down to the Pure RoC Retinol included in this formula, which is more powerful than other over-the-counter forms of the ingredient. It’s also infused with glycerin to plump skin and keep it hydrated.
- Contains a patented form of retinol that you won’t find anywhere else
- Proven to help with the appearance of fine lines, puffiness, and dark circles
- Contains multiple parabens
Best Eye Cream for Puffiness: SkinCeuticals A.G.E. Eye Complex
Puffy eyes is never a good look, so if you’re searching for a go-to cream that’ll quickly de-puff your eyes while diminishing dark circles and crow’s feet, turn to the SkinCeuticals A.G.E. Eye Complex.
From peptides to fruit extracts to vitamin E, this formula contains all of the ingredients that your skin needs to improve elasticity and firmness in the long run. However, it has also been formulated with caffeine – massage this eye cream into your skin and you’ll be constricting blood vessels and giving microcirculation a boost , which will instantly de-puff and brighten your eye area.
- Can help to reduce puffiness almost instantly, while firming thin and crepey skin in the long run
- Leaves the skin around the eyes looking more radiant
- Contains parabens
Best Affordable Eye Cream for Boosting Collagen Production in Mature Skin: Olay Regenerist Retinol 24 MAX Night Eye Cream
Some of the best eye creams out there come with frighteningly high price tags, but the Olay Regenerist Retinol 24 MAX Night Eye Cream shows that this isn’t always the case. This budget-friendly formula contains retinol to stimulate cell turnover and eradicate crow’s feet, along with niacinamide to even out your skin tone.
How long before you see results? According to Olay, 28 days, so long as you use this product every day.
- A vitamin-rich formula that will help to combat free radical damage in the fragile skin around the eyes
- A fragrance-free formula that also effectively hydrates the skin
- Some customers with sensitive skin found that this eye cream caused a burning sensation and left their eyes looking puffy. If you have sensitive skin and want to give this product a try, perform a patch test first!
Best Night Eye Cream Formula for Sensitive Skin: La Roche-Posay Redermic R Retinol Eye Cream
If the skin on your face is on the sensitive side, then chances are that the skin around your eyes will be even more so. In order to simultaneously strengthen and treat this area without causing a reaction, you’ll need a cleverly-crafted formula designed specifically for skin with sensitivities, just like the La Roche-Posay Redermic R Retinol Eye Cream.
Although kind to the skin, this anti-wrinkle eye cream packs a punch. With 0.1% pure retinol, 0.1% of the brand’s exclusive retinol complex, and 0.2% caffeine, this formula contains all of the right ingredients for fading the appearance of fine lines and dark circles, yet at a low enough concentration so as not to irritate the delicate nature of the skin around the eyes.
- Contains powerful active ingredients in an amount that’s safe enough for daily use around the eye area
- Designed specifically for sensitive and reactive skin
- People with oily skin may find that this product isn’t potent enough for them – a higher concentration of retinol may be needed to counter the excess oil
Top Rated Product for Delivering Impressive Before and After Results: Best EltaMD Renew Eye Gel
If you’re looking for a product that will instantly plump, brighten, and revive tired-looking eyes, then you’ll love the Best EltaMD Renew Eye Gel. This formula has an interesting consistency – although a gel, it still has quite a creamy texture, almost like a thick serum.
Either way, it’s a fast-absorbing blend that quickly sinks into the skin, bringing with it a number of unique ingredients that aren’t often seen in eye care products. From Saccharomyces cerevisiae extract, which comes from yeast and helps to increase moisture levels and skin condition , to glycosaminoglycans to boost collagen production, to niacinamide for its anti-inflammatory properties – don’t be concerned if you can’t pronounce all of the ingredients in this product, as they’re all beneficial in some way!
- Packed full of hydrating and moisturizing ingredients that plump up fine lines and wrinkles while brightening dark circles
- Has light-reflecting particles to provide instant softening results
- Can be easily layered underneath makeup during the day
- Contains quite a long ingredient list, which could pose a problem for people with sensitivities
Best Eye Cream for Dry Skin: First Aid Beauty FAB Skin Lab Retinol Eye Cream
Dry skin requires a hydrating eye cream – a formula that will deliver a deep dose of much-needed moisture to quench the skin’s thirst. In turn, keeping skin cells adequately hydrated will help to combat fine lines and add radiance to under-eye skin. Our favorite product for doing this? The First Aid Beauty FAB Skin Lab Retinol Eye Cream.
Although designed for all skin types, we love how this First Aid Beauty formula works on dry skin. It’s loaded with so many hydrating and soothing ingredients, including tri-molecular weight hyaluronic acid, colloidal oatmeal, allantoin, ceramides, and vitamin E, plus some caffeine and micro-pearls to instantly perk up and enhance the skin.
- Contains microencapsulated retinol, which slowly delivers the ingredient into the skin over time
- Offers both instant and long-term anti-aging results
- An incredibly hydrating formula that’s great for dry skin, although it can be used on all skin types
- Some customers with sensitive skin found that this formula irritated their skin and made their skin flaky
Best Daily Eye Cream for Hydration & Anti-Aging Benefits: Aveeno Absolutely Ageless Eye Cream
Several of the eye creams that we’ve featured offer major hydration benefits, but they also contain retinol, an ingredient that should be avoided during the day because of how it can make the skin more sensitive to the sun. That’s why we love the Aveeno Absolutely Ageless Eye Cream – although it isn’t formulated with retinol, it’s packed with so many other anti-aging and protective ingredients, making it ideal for daytime use.
In this blend, you’ll find the brand’s exclusive blackberry complex, which is brimming with vitamins and antioxidants. It also contains some extra vitamin C and vitamin E to tackle wrinkles, dark circles, and a dull skin tone.
- Gentle and protective enough to be used during the day
- Full of vitamins and antioxidants
- Although non-comedogenic, it’s still a rich cream that could feel too heavy on overly-oily skin
How to Choose the Best Eye Cream for Fine Lines & Wrinkles Based on Ingredients & Your Age
Choosing an eye cream can be tricky, especially since your skin’s needs change as you age. Here are some guidelines to follow the next time you’re shopping for new anti-aging eye care products:
How to Choose the Best Anti-Aging Eye Cream for 40s
In your 40s, wrinkles will be appearing but they won’t be too pronounced, so prevention is just as important as cure.
The best eye cream for preventing wrinkles will be one that contains retinol and other similar ingredients, such as bakuchiol, to keep cell turnover at an optimum level. Antioxidants are also key, as they’ll help to counter all of the free radical damage that will now be producing visible changes in your skin.
How to Choose the Best Anti-Aging Eye Cream for 50s
Wrinkles deepen quite significantly once a person hits their 50s, and the skin around the eyes starts to thin out even more.
To tackle both issues at the same time, look for ingredients that plump and thicken the skin. Hyaluronic acid is a great one to add to your skincare routine, as are peptides and ceramides.
How to Choose the Best Anti-Aging Eye Cream for 60s
Once you’re in your 60s, you’ll notice that the creases around your eyes will have deepened quite significantly, and your skin may also be looking a little crepey.
Again, hydrating ingredients are key. You may also want to look into products that instantly, albeit temporarily, smooth away those lines. Formulas containing DMAE and acetyl hexapeptide-8 are great for this.
Q: Do any eye creams actually work for wrinkles?
Yes, so long as they contain effective anti-aging ingredients, eye creams are a fantastic way to get rid of wrinkles.
Q: What’s best for wrinkles around eyes?
The best way to get rid of wrinkles around the eyes is to make sure that you’re following a good eye care routine – daily cleansing, followed by an eye serum and then topped up with an eye cream. You should also be protecting your eye area from sun damage as much as possible, as UV rays will worsen your wrinkles.
Q: Can eye cream get rid of wrinkles?
Yes, the right eye cream can be very effective at getting rid of wrinkles.
Q: Is retinol good for under-eye wrinkles?
Yes, retinol is a great ingredient to use for under-eye wrinkles.
Q: What do dermatologists recommend for eye wrinkles; a serum, a balm, or a moisturizer?
All of those products are good for eye wrinkles – which is best will depend on the ingredients contained in each one. Check out the tips on this page to learn more about picking the right ingredients for your eye area.
Q: Can you use eye cream on your eyelids?
Applying an eye cream to the eyelids isn’t usually recommended. This is because it increases the chance of the product ending up in your eyes. However, some formulas can be safely used on the eyelids, so check the directions of the eye cream in question.
Conclusion: Ready for a Younger-Looking Eye Area?
They may be the windows to your soul, but once aging starts to take its toll on your eye area, those windows can look pretty haggard and worn out. Fortunately, there are ways to reverse the effects that time has had on your skin, and these eye creams are the ideal way to get started. Each formula that we’ve featured has been proven to work – all you need to do is choose your favorite, use it regularly, and watch the skin around your eyes slowly take on a smoother, firmer, and brighter glow.